Friday, May 28, 2010

an Experiment in Banana Bread

My friend's husband just had a kidney transplant, and I want to go see how she's doing, and I always feel like I need to take something. I decided to make a loaf of banana bread, but then I remembered that my friend eats very few simple carbs and really watches her sugar intake so I modified my recipe a little bit.



Here's the original recipe:
"AJ's Stinkin' Banana Bread"
3 bananas
1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

and here's how I made it:
2 1/2 bananas
1 cup all natural applesauce
1/3 cup Agave (a natural, organic sweetener that doesn't raise your blood sugar. check it out here)
2 eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp soda
1/2 tsp salt
Bake at 350 degrees for 48 minutes

I think it turned out pretty well! I like the texture and density. I think it could have used a little more sweetness, but if you put a little honey on it that problem would be solved or you could up the Agave to 1/2 cup. I did grease the pan so there's a little bit of fat there. My little girl really likes it!

3 comments:

  1. I love that you are still calling that recipe AJ stinkin' Banana bread...I remember when we made that in 603! and way to make it "healthier" :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we should change that name. Anything named after guys from college can't be a good thing. Haha. Off with their heads! Arrrrrrr

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, what are you doing making bread when you're about ready to pop?? Go lie down and put your feet up! I'm glad you got the bread to work out. Whenever I try to do those substitutions, it tastes gross. I'll have to bookmark this page and give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete